Sunday 23 March 2008

Stranger Than Fiction

I am supremely pleased that I ended up liking this film. (Almost as pleased as I was that it was screening on pay tv and that meant that I didn't have to hire it and therefore spend money.) But I've wanted to see Stranger Than Fiction ever since I saw the promos at the cinemas. Sadly it was not to be and thus I hadn't ever gotten around to hiring it (something I considered last time I was at the video store) or even buying it blind, which I have never been able to justify doing. But as I say, I am supremely pleased that I ended up liking this film. I guess its mainly that all things fiction writing fascinate and captivate me. And yes, the irony is not lost on me that a film about writing and writers and fiction has compelled me to go and write something myself ie. this blog. But I find the whole thing fascinating. If you know me, which I presume you probably do if you are reading this, then you know that it is my dream to one day have a book published, to have my name placed among the annals of those noble creatures, the masters of the imagination - the novelists. And like most writers, I am incredibly incredulous and insecure about my ability or the lack thereof. I can't help but go back to this one article I read in one of the first few weeks of my current uni studies in writing. In my opinion it perfectly captures the experience of writing: "Writing fiction is like allowing yourself to be the ugliest person in the room and the most beautiful person at the same time. The ‘beautiful’ you swans into the party, garnering admiration, presuming that everyone else will be interested in what you have to say -- about anything. The ‘ugly’ you would prefer to cower in the kitchen, scoffing leftovers in the dark. It’s a schizoid existence. The part of you that is dying to be heard is chronically at odds with the part of you that fears exposure, rejection, or being just plain bad" (Albyn Leah Hall) The constant writer's dilemma and struggle with self. But back to Stranger Than Fiction. Here is the premise: Harold Crick is just a bloke going about his life when he begins to hear a voice narrating his life. As if that we're enough stress for him - a man who has never had anything remotely exciting or more than mundane happen to him for the past 12 years - then he hears the voice narrate that he doesn't know it but he is imminently close to his death. Bit of a shock really ;-) So the rest of the movie is about his quest to find out more about his death and what that means for his life. Now I'm not Will Ferrell's biggest fan. I only like him in about half of his movies. I either really like and adore his performance, or I absolutely loath it and any credability and respect he may have built up in my eyes is instantly demolished. So fortunately for him I really liked his performance in this movie. Had I have not, I don't think I would have liked this movie at all and simply written it off. Will's portrayal of Harrold was rather adorable and enamouring. Poor Harrold Crick. He really hasn't got much to live for other than numbers (he's an auditer for the IRS) and his wristwatch. I really liked the wristwatch motif actually. A mark of great writing I reckon. Compelling and unique, it leads you through the narrative and is indeed a character in its own right. I have to say I much prefer Will playing a character straight and letting the comedy come from the cirumstance rather than the character attempting to be funny in and of themselves. Dustin Hoffman as the Professor of Literature was a nice touch too. I didn't know he was in the film so it was a pleasant surprise as he is a tremendous actor who just pulls you in to whatever he is doing. The way he kept asking Harrold if he counted stuff like the stairs outside or the number of tiles in the bathroom was really cute and quirky and helped solidify Harrold's character and patheticness, if thats not too harsh a description. I also liked the role that Hoffman played as it stimulated my writer's mind by talking about all the literary theory and creation mechanics and games writers play to stimulate ideas etc. I wonder if I didn't have some foreknowledge and insight into the theory behind writing, would I have understood and been able to follow all the stuff he was going on about, eg. the ideas about plot and how it happens, working out if Harrold was in a Comedy or a Tragedy, and the list of questions that Hoffman asks about Harrold's life. Awesome! A crane bursting thru a wall to create plot when the character refuses, nice touch! And only I find this interesting but I would soooo love to hear Hoffman's lectures on "Little did he know". That is awesome!!!! The romance with Maggie Gylenhall was quite sweet (no pun intended given that she bakes him cookies) and perfectly illustrated the whole plot twist thing. An unlikely pairing between the characters but it works nonetheless. And yet another masterful performance by Emma Thompson as the writer of the piece. I certainly hope I never go as wonko as she seems to be for most of the movie. Though there is a part of me that admires her character's methods of trying to immerse herself in the different experiences of dying. Though the hospital part was more than a bit extreme. Also a nice surprise by Queen Latifah as the assistant. Overall I guess I can't eloquently describe why it is that I really liked this film other than that the mechanics of it tickled my writer's bone and understanding. Deeply satisfying to my writer's sensibilities, which is a great relief cause this film could have been a real flop. Little did I know...hehehe A definite recommendation and then come talk to me about the writing stuff in it if you dare. Interesting ideas. Happy Easter Everyone! Till next time

No comments: