Thursday 28 May 2009

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

When I was a kid I used to love watching TMNT with my brother on tv. I was such a tomboy back then. So when I heard that the original cartoon series was gonna be released on DVD I was psyched. When it did finally come out recently I started to question whether or not to buy it and got cold feet so to speak. I kept picking it up and putting it back on the shelf at JB. But yesterday I digressed when I practically ran into a stand full of it in Big W. I scooped up volumes one, two and three and headed to the registers...and boy am I glad I did. I watched practically all of volume one last night and it was awesome. I can't believe how much of it I actually remembered from somewhere deep in my subconscious. There are five episodes on the disc and I have the strongest feeling that we used to have them all on tape or something when I was a kid. I think I thought (as a kid) that these five eps were actually a movie length episode. Maybe it was just the way we recorded it on the tape, I dunno. Seriously, there were moments where I could say the lines by heart yet I knew at the same time as I said them aloud that it was so deep in my subconscious that they were coming from. So the cartoon looks kinda average. Still, I like the bright colours and comical style. The lines are very clean and sharp. The comedy is actually more apparent in the scripting than I ever realised as a kid, yet that is the nature of these shows generally speaking. All that stuff mostly goes over kids heads. I think I probably related more to the feel good triumph over evil while using cliches parts of the show. But all in all I am glad I bought this DVD and the two subsequent volumes. There are 4 extra bonus episodes on volume 1 that seem to have been made after the live action film was released. The style is slightly different but still kinda the same. One or two of the voice actors have changed but its mostly the same. But its cool that there are bonus eps on the disc all the same. A great trip down memory lane. I can't wait to see how much I remember when I get into volume 2. Will definitely pick up volumes four, five and six when they come out in a little while. Worth checking out if you grew up on the series. Cowabunga dude!

No comments: